Black Sexlinks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by halfpynt, May 6, 2007.

1. halfpynt

halfpynt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Does anyone know about sexlink breed ? We have two of them,, ,they are black all over..... Cant find any pics of what they will look like when fully grown..

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Black sex-links are the result of a male RIR or NHR and a female Barred Rock. They, however do not breed true.

This is my black sex-link pullet at about 7-8 weeks old;
    [​IMG]

Here she is at 12 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

www.feathersite.com has pictures of sex-links, as well as many other breeds.

3. halfpynt

halfpynt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    :flCool !! Thanks ![​IMG]

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no AccidentalFarm if that's a black sex-link that a BOY! The males display the barring, while the females have a mix of gold and black feathers. That's what makes them a sex-link.

Girls range from almost solid black with a few gold feathers to something like this:

[​IMG]

Here is a male black sex-link:
    [​IMG]

As youngsters...

Pullet:
    [​IMG]

Cockeral:
    [​IMG]

I hope you have room for a little crower!

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  5. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ella, Where did you get your black sexlinks?...i my self have a pair of bsl's and love them.... however I really like the coloring of yours much more! Mine are solid black with the exceptions of some bronze feathers around there neck. I guess luck of the draw? [​IMG]
    Stay well, Dom

Edit: I forgot to specifly im talking about your bsl pullet. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Both of the chickens pictured are a cross between my Buff Orpington rooster and a barred Rock hen. They are half siblings, and are very nice, the hen has layed an egg almost every day for the last 2 years.

Here's the papa:

[​IMG]

And this is the hen's mom:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by