Black shoulder experts?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by q8peafowl, Nov 15, 2014.

1. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    I bought this hen few months ago as a Bronze black shoulder peahen, but i noticed some difference in colors between her and my older hen. Would someone please tell me if it's a bronze black shoulder hen or not? I know i should for the bronze color in her neck, but I don't know how doing it [​IMG]

This is the new hen:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is my older hen which i'm sure its a bronze black shoulder hen(left one):
    [​IMG]

2. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    And sorry for the bad pictures, I remembered to take some photos just after the sun sets!

3. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Well, first off, the picture of your first bronze BS hen, clearly shows she is Spalding. The pics of your new hen are not bright enough for me to tell, however. If you have a chance to get a good look at the back of her neck, she should have a little bit of colour, matching the bronze colour of the male.

4. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Thanks Arbor, i will have to look at her next week when i go to the farm, the farm is 1.5 hours drive away so I need to wait till next week, You mean the older one is spalding? This one came from Leggs farm.

5. Arbor

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Yes, something about the head colouring makes me believe that, see texaspeafowl image of bronze BS below
    [​IMG]

Now compare with texaspeafowl image of Spalding bronze BS, the head has nmore defined line across the eye.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Interesting, Brad didn't say its a spalding when i got her so i didn't think about that, that's good because the male she is paired with is small in size so i hope the green blood will make their offspring bigger in size.
    This is my friend's hen, do you think its normal bronze hen?

[​IMG]

7. Arbor

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Yes, looks like a normal bronze BS hen.

8. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Thank you.

9. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    The male is also a spalding, isn't he? Did you get them as a pair?

10. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Yes, I got them as a pair, but i don't think the male is spalding, he is small in size and don't have any signs that shows he is a Spalding. This brown bird on the right is a spalding bronze peahen, you can see the bronze black shoulder male in this video, he is the first one.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by