black shoulder X IB

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by peacockfarmer1, Apr 22, 2011.

1. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    what does this make? what will they look like?
    i have a IB male that i noticed today that his lower wing is black is he split to BlackShoulder

2. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Blackshoulder X india blue all blue chicks split blackshoulder. Shometime the split male will start showing the blackshoulder pattern on his lower wings so if your blue male is showing that he is split to blackshoulder.

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    No, their lower wing will be black.

An IB split to blackshoulder will look like a pure IB and carry the blackshoulder gene (meaning if bred back to a blackshoulder you'd get blackshoulder kids).

For more on peafowl genetics, visit this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=390889

4. DMFarm

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Quote:They will look like a blue but they can still show the blackshoulder pattern on there lower wing seen it many times. If you ever see one you can tell the different in the wing from a blue.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  5. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Glad you said that. I've seen that on some peacocks and wondered why the bottom part of the wing was black. One more thing I know now [​IMG] .

6. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Glad you said that. I've seen that on some peacocks and wondered why the bottom part of the wing was black. One more thing I know now [​IMG] .

7. DMFarm

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Here a picture of a blue that split blackshoulder you can see he is starting to show the blackshoulder pattern a normal blue will have a few black feathers but not this much as he get older the wing will get more and more black on it. I had a male that I sold half his wing was black.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  8. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    That's true I have Purple male split blackshoulder and the older he gets the better you can tell. Steve

9. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I was wondering about that!! I have seen pictures of peacocks were they had a lot of black on their wings but they were not blackshoulder, so is this another example (background one being blackshoulder and front one being split to BS)?
    http://www.engel-cox.org/jill/images/PeacocksKL.jpg

10. DMFarm

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    MinxFox
    That is a good example of a split male

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by