Black Shoulder x Opal Black Shoulder

Pavomuticus

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
I put a Opal Black Shoulder male onto some standard black shoulder hens, my expectation was for some Black shoulder chicks spilt Opal. The spilt chicks are different to the normal Black Shoulder chicks I produce, browner in their feathers. The photos shows a spilt cock next to a normal black shoulder cock of the same age and same batch......any ideas?

Hi
Impossible to say no Green blood in the birds as don't know the full history of adults but they look pure Indian, so certainly it would have to be extremely low levels of Green genetics, if indeed there was any.

I raised many birds split to one or more colours. The difference in colouration is common, and generally only seen during youth. As the adult male gets his plumage, it can be hard to distinguish. Hens may retain some of that colouration into adulthood though. I've had male blackshoulder birds that are split cameo with a greater amount of a washed cameo colouring till they plumage out. I've also seen regular indian blue that are split to opal that are slightly more gray/lighter in colour.

Back
Top Bottom