Black Silkie Bantam rooster fight

First of all try to locate who is doing the damage and separate them. Then apply Blu-Kote to the wounded areas. My partridge bantam silkie roo is a bully so I can see how they get. He is in with a red cochin bantam roo who knows enough to hide when bully is on the prowl. My mille fluer d'ucle roosters had to be permanently separated because they were 'fighting to the death'. Even now, separated by hardware cloth, they try to fight with each other.

Good luck and I hope they heal quickly.

Isn't that a SHOCK to find your beloved pets wrestling to the death in a blooody heap?! We used to bring them into the utility shower, hose their bloody heads off with plain lukewarm water, while they stood in the sink. Rinsed all the dirt and clots off. Didn't use bacitracin/antibiotic ointment, because the birds are small and even that small dose in the ointment could hurt them if they ate it.

Our elder Silkie rooster even had his comb flipped over, hung on by just one cm. edge. We hosed it off and flipped it back down, held it in place until the blood started scabbing, about 3 minutes. Also his wattle had been sliced nearly off, we were able to just hose it off and stick it back together until it clotted. The guy is just the nicest bird, seemed to understand we were trying to patch him up and dutifully went for the shower next time it happened again....

At first we worried sick that he might get an infection. But he healed just fine.

Today he is still fine. Birds heal amazingly well, and fast! He's still a pretty boy. But to prevent more damage, we had to permanently seperate the roo's, and we luckily re-homed the young one.

I hope it goes as well for you!

Back
Top Bottom