Black Silkie Bantam Rooster

polenslager

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
post falls Idaho
One of our Black silkies turned out to be a rooster, they are almost five months old now.

We have three total on the banties and seven other chickens.. bardrocks, orpintons.. all the rest are hens.

This little roo is becoming a pain, aggressive to me the most and anyone else.
Any way to work with them to stop the pecking and stalking and make them nicer? He has pecked me twice, does the sideways
strut pretending to eat while getting closer. So minor so far, but I would like to keep it that way.

What do you do with roosters you want to keep, but keep nice?

I went through the same thing with my little bantam, he went through his onery teenage stage and pinched my hand several times and harrassed my dog, who would never hurt a fly, anyway i just decided that was not acceptable and when he acted like a little ass I snatched him up and carried him around with me as I did my chores or just walked around the yard....petting him and talking to him the whole time......now he is just the sweetest lil guy.

Just stick with it and let him know that you are the big rooster and he must be respectful.

Good luck!

I just pick them up and carry them around with me for a few minutes to show them love but that I am bigger than they are. But I haven't ended up keeping any of them for long.

Since I have children, I sell at auction all the roos that are aggressive. I hope this helps.

He may be playing...at least I have a blue silkie roo thats seems too...not with me but he will sneak up behind my banty roo and pull on a tail feather(not hard enough to remove it) and then runs his little legs off even though lil big man ignores him.It is funny to see and the way you say he sneaks up sideways acting like he is pecking the ground really reminds me of him.

I sure hope thats the case and not turning into a meanie for both of us....

Back
Top Bottom