Black Silkie genetics

Black silkies are most likely extended black, melanotic and may be pattern also. They could also be birchen instead of extended black. At the silver locus, they can be silver or gold.

Tim

I will agree that the best are extended black or birchen based, but many, especially those that are hatchery stock, are e^b with added melanizers. Side by side you can tell the difference--they just are not as black.

Quote:
Thanks, mine are from a hatchery and are being used in a breeding project. Can you tell if they are eb at the E locus by their undercolor? Are Buff Silkies eb, Co, and Db?
thanks.

The buff I have produced were gold, wheaten, dark brown and columbian. Research would support my findings. I have to do some more work to determine if you can get buff on birchen. According to Smyth, buff can also be produced on wild type and eb or brown. I have not produced buff on eb or wild type- I have not tried to produced buff on them.

The eb birds I have had that were black had white under color. That would be a good indicator.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom