Black silkie - male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrs MIA, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Can you tell from this photo if this almost-6 week old is a male or female? I've tried reading about how to tell the difference, but I just don't know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you look for?

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Its too young to tell yet, sometimes you have to wait months with silkies before you can tell.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh poo... I was afraid of that. I did notice that they take longer to mature than other breeds. I can usually tell at 6-7 weeks with the others. [​IMG] Oh well.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I feel your pain! [​IMG] I don;t know what mine is either and the waiting for it to do something other than be a fuzz ball is making me crazy! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I love the Silkie sex guessing game. It is very difficult to tell on most chicks, but I think your pictures are all I need to see to give you an experienced guess. I think you have a little girl there.

Tom

6. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    I think silkies are he prettiest chickens I've seen on here so far.

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Thanks Tom! I'm going to put a little pink band on that chick, and I'll let you know if you're right! [​IMG] I have 3 black silkies, 5 white, and 1 blue, all the same age. What did you look at that suggested a girl?

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:Did you see these... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47252
    I
    LOVE the first photo... such attitude! [​IMG]

Guitartists: I hear you... they're all so adorable, too, but I remember waiting about 7-8 months before our first white silkie started laying. They're so quiet... we thought we had a male, and called her Elvis! [​IMG]
    Elvis now lays the prettiest dainty eggs. And she's a good broody, too.

9. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    The crest feathers are coming in in a straight up position; males usually curve backwards. The most defining characteristics is the comb. It is long from front to back (sort of skinny). On a male the comb it thick from side to side (sort of plump).

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    That's what I was thinking. I didn't know about the crest, but the combs are pretty distinct already. I think we have two white males, 3 white females in the group. One black male, and two females... perfect!

I actually caught (I think) one of the white silkies trying to crow this morning... at 6 weeks?! Time to get the breeder coops done, and get them out of the garage! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by