black silkie male with golden hackles?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redchicken, Jan 26, 2008.

1. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    he is pure silkie his parents are a white and a black why would he have golden hackles?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Well, you did breed two different colored birds, so anything could creep up depending on what genes they carry. The white could be hiding genes and black typically has this problem in the male progeny due to wild genes in their ancestry.

Jody

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    The breed basically has nothing to do with the color variation you are seeing, as Jody said White masks many other colors. Your black offspring with Red in the hackles is not uncommon. I had a very nice Black Male when bred to a black female some of the (male only) offspring developed gold in the hackles. The females black offsping were perfect. As I understand it that would be a female line. You would not want to breed the male again. My female offspring have produced very nice chicks in blue and splash as well as black with no color in the hackles of the males produced.

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    The gold in the hackles means that the bird has the birchen combination for the black gene. It's not uncommon, as stated.

5. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    it is not that much gold and we are not showing them so I was just wondering about the gold hackles

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  6. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    That's funny! I have a black cochin cockeral, Mom was black and Dad was white.

He has these blond 'highlights' in his hackles. I know.. means he won't breed true.

Meanwhile, though, I think he's going for the Californina Babe look. [​IMG]

Meghan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by