Black Silkie Pullet inflated crop? Feels like a balloon

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkieluver_07, Sep 11, 2010.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Black Silkie Pullet, about 17-18 weeks old
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. She stands or just lays down in one spot. She isn't active and normal like she usually is
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I noticed two days ago that she wasn't her normal self
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No one else in the pen is exhibiting the symptoms
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Her crop feels like a squishy water balloon, all other birds crops feel normal
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I don't have a clue
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She looks like she drank water, but she hasnt been eating that I've seen
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I plan on seperating
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I am seperating her and keeping her in the house
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I plan on treating her myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    [​IMG]

This is her a couple weeks ago. I will take more pictures today

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use regular pine shavings in the coop with an attached run with sand

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Open her beak; do you get a bad odor? I think she has sour crop.

3. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Yes it smells like sour milk, how do I treat it?

4. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    I don't have any advice, but here's hoping all goes well!

5. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You will get all kinds of opinions about how to treat this. I am no expert, so if anyone wants to chime in or contradict me feel free.

If she is still drinking on her own, here is what I did with my hen who had a slow crop (She ate a bunch of alfalfa and her crop wasn't going down and she was getting listless by the time we noticed). Isolate her to a quiet comfortable place.

Mix quarter can stewed tomato and one or two tablespoons olive oil in a blender and let her have that - no other food. Massage the crop gently lifting up from the base and trying to break up any large chunks you feel. Don't be too rough or jerky in your motions. If you make her throw up she could swallow fluid into her lungs and die. (You will see some people will start their treatment with making the hen throw up. Sometimes it works, sometimes the hen dies instantly, so I never tried it.)

Every couple of hours or however many times you can get to it, check on your hen to massage again and see if she is eating anything. IF/when the swelling starts going down, and/or you see she has more of an appetite, mix same thing, but add a little bread to the mix. (Some people use ACV or Apple Cider Vinegar in place of tomato and some people feed yogurt - I didn't use either.) Hopefully after a day or day and a half of this she will be able to have regular water and you can mix a little tomato and olive oil into her crumbles and give her a soft mush for the next day or until fully recovered.

6. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I went to the store and bought some ACV tonight and gave her that. Her crop swelled up again by the time I got home from work. I keep massaging her crop and she keeps "burping" and it smells horrible.

7. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Well her crop is less bloated this morning... I gave her fresh clean water and brad soaked in olive oil. She's drank some water and tasted the bread, but doesn't seem to like the taste of it.

8. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You need the acidity in the ACV or tomato - do not stop giving her either one of these until this clears.

(either one meaning whichever you chose to use.)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  9. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Thankyou, I hope she gets better!

10. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    How is she doing this morning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by