Black silkie purchase

emzee

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
I am thinking about buying a black silkie and was wondering what ya'll think about this 3 month old? Is he/she only pet quality? Or possibly breeder quality?

39398_black_silkie.jpg

looks pet quality to me, but hard to tell sometimes between pet and breeders. Some of my breeders look terible, acutally much like that. Look at it and see if its got 5 toes each foot and if its molting. If its molting I would wait to purchase to see what it looks like feathered out.

Thank you! I emailed her and asked. Anyone else?

Last edited:
Okay, I just heard back from the lady selling the black silkie. She said yes, it does have 5 toes. She also said it's not molting, but it was slightly wet from the snow and since it's still growing, it's feathers are coming in.

If you're looking for a really nice bird, I'd keep looking. I've heard, and seen, birds going through real transformations, but some birds you can just tell will not turn out a certain way. If it were me and I was looking to purchase a nice black, I'd save my money and look elsewhere. That's just me.
smile.png

you may want to go to the where am I where are you section and see if you can find a breeder close by. Thats how I got my silkies. Or put up a want add

If you are looking for a pet, then I'd say she is fine. If you are thinking of showing, I would advertise under "Wanted" here on BYC and let folks know what you are looking for and the area in which you live.

Most true show quality birds are upwards of $75 each (pullets), so be prepared to "pay for what you get".
wink.png

I don't have much money to spend, so if I decide not to get this bird I may just buy hatching eggs. Sundown: I emailed her and asked those questions. I'll post what she said when she replies. Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom