1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Silkie Roo And Partridge Hen What Would Happen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by austincoopersilkiesies, Jul 15, 2011.

1. austincoopersilkiesies

austincoopersilkiesies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    I Have A Black Roo And A Partridge Hen What Coloring Will The Offspring Be?And What About A Black Hen With The Roo?[​IMG]

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:The black hen with the black roo would, of course, give you all black babies. Don't know about the partridge.

3. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Thanks! Anyone Of You Silkie Breeders Help With The Partridge?

4. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:A black roo over a Partridge hen should also create all black unicolor offspring.

ETA: Even if it was a Partridge roo over a Black hen the outcome would be the same. That is because the E/E or extended black allele is dominate.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Ok Thanks Guys!

6. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I would not breed the black to the partridge if you are trying to get showable colored offspring. Blacks can be bred to blues, blacks, or splashes, other than that all silkie colors should be kept separate. I would stick with the black to black for all blacks. If you want to breed the partridge color, I would look for a partridge roo to go with the partridge hen.

7. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Here are the outcomes when breeding BBS (AKA: Andalusian Blue).

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
    Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
    Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
    Black X Black = 100% Black
    Black X Splash = 100% Blue
    Splash X Splash = 100% Splash * breeding this way will dilute your splashes, and they will fade more with each subsequent breeding.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:A black roo over a Partridge hen should also create all black unicolor offspring.

ETA: Even if it was a Partridge roo over a Black hen the outcome would be the same. That is because the E/E or extended black allele is dominate.

That is assuming that the black is E/E. The reality is that a black bird can be built on any E-allele except wheaten.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by