1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Silkie Rooster Has Pasty Rear? *Pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenfan4life, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I was hoping that I would never have to make a forum in this section. But here I am.

Anyway, today, I went out to the chicken coop, and found my sister's black silkie rooster, Raven, lying on the coop floor. I picked him up and found he was still alive. But when I checked his rear, I found a full inch of droppings that had stuck to his vent. They were a greenish color with splotches of red, almost like blood, in them.

He wobbles when he walks and falls over a lot. His feet are cold, and feel hard, kinda like cardboard. His eyes seem dry and dull. He is cold and hard feeling on his body, and his comb and wattles (he is non-bearded) are stiff and cold. The nights have only been getting in the seventies, with little, if any, wind. I don't understand, and neither does my sister. I

I will get some pics if I can. Does anyone know what might be wrong with him? Are there any suggestions on how to treat him/what to do with him? Is this contagious? Should I separate him from the other chickens? And, if this helps any, we have other roosters. Could they be singling him out, not letting him drink or sleep with the others?

This is my sister's baby. She should not have to lose him, seeing as how she has just recently lost a baby chick, her rat, her parakeet, her pet rooster, and her pet hen. I do not think she should have to lose any more pets. Please help me with how to treat him! Is there any hope for him?!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Please? Will anyone help me/Raven?

3. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I am going to get pics now. I hope they will help. [​IMG]

4. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Ok, these are the best pics I have now. A really crappy camera was taking the pics, so bear with me.

His vent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His head ( to show his eyes, which are very dull, now. The photo is bad.)
    [​IMG]

Please comment on what it might be. Please suggest any treatment methods. He is still alive.

5. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    I don't know much about illnesses, but if he is cold, maybe put him in a smaller area with a heat lamp to warm him up while you wait for some more expert advice. Hope someone can help you!

6. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Thank you! We did that already. He is still alive today, but he is not eating at all, only drinking occasionally. We do not think he is gonna make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by