Black silkie rooster over blue & splash lav plit silkie hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, May 18, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    If i breed my black silkie rooster and a blue split to lavender hen and a splash split to lavender hen will half of the offspring have the lavender gene even though the father doesnt cary it only the mothers do? Cuz i have 10 in the bator now from that and i am planning to sell them but if some of the chicks are going to be split to lavender then i will want to say that.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Quote:Let see if I got it straight

You have a black silkie rooster

You intend to mate him with a blue split to lav hen and a splash split to lav hen.

The possibilities are

From the Blue Split Hen:

25% black

25% black split to lav

25% blue

25% blue split to lav

From the Splash split to lav hen

50% blue

50% blue split to lav.

I think it is going to be very hard to tell what the genotypes are as you move forward. If they are just for fun, then knock yourself out, if you intend to work on the breed, I would suggest trying to isolate the lav to black only. Blue only complicates the issue.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

3. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Yes you got it right, and they are all i could find at the time and yes i intend to breed them and sell them but they are also pets. I got both the hens from shagbark and she said they were SQ and my rooster is BQ. He has really dark feet if not black than darn close and the splash hen has a really nice crest. Hopefully i will get some nice chicks from them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by