black silkie with crusty eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by critterranch, Nov 24, 2010.

1. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i have a black silkie hen thats 8 months old with crusted eyes . they crusted shut last night. i moisted them up and they opened, but afaird it will happen again. i put her on terrmicyn powder in her water. any one else have this problem before? i have 25 other chickens they seem fine. her eyes have green/white dryed eye crusts, but other wise fine is eatting and pooping fine.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

How is she doing?

3. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    she seems fine i have her in house in bathtub to stay warm her eyes are still open and gloopy with terimyicn ointment i got today. she seems alert. i will see in morning if her eyes are stuck shut?

i was thinking if it was just a simple eye infection from free ranging. they have been free ranging for 3 months.
    i bought them from a guy who kept them cooped up in barn. they never seen day light or eatten grass till i got them.
    now they are out in the weather i wonder if they need time to toughen them up. they love rain dont think they knew what it was.before.
    they seem new to the outside world yet. they all go to bed with the cuckoo marans in coop.
    it works out good silkie pile on the floor and cuckoo marans roost up high. they go well to gether.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully the terramycin ointment will take care of it. Sounds like they have a wonderful life now. Good for you!

5. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    this morning her eyes were dryed and crusted shut . i put ointment on at 9 pm before i went to bed. they were so dry i could not even tell i did it.
    she kind of sounds like rice crispies when she breaths. she is the only chicken sick.
    she is still drinking and eatting.
    i put more ointment on and her eyes they opened but seem a little more swollen than yesterday?

we had rain for a week straight here you think it is something bad? or just a cold from the rain?
    sometimes they like the rain so much they dont know any better than to go back to the coop. i think she got chilled out in the rain.???

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

She does sound like she has a respiratory problem – chickens do not get “colds” like humans do.

Here is a thread with a short description of illness – you might find helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=422651

Also – if you use the search link in the upper blue bar, just above your logged in name (not the google search on the right), you can search for specific words in certain forums, and by title or title and message body. I would search – respiratory and then Coryza and MG to name a few, oh and crusty eye. This will give you loads of reading and better arm you for dealing with what she might have.

[​IMG] for you and her

I have no experience with Respiratory problems - sorry [​IMG]

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    When the weather changed one of mine got a runny nose and sneezing. I used sulmet and he got lots better although he makes an occasional sneeze still. Maybe he has allergies! LOL
    None of the others ever showed any symptoms. I noticed that there were several others posting that they had an issue when the weather changed as well.
    sharon

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Seems like alot of people are having this right now, one of my cochin bantams was breathing with her mouth open this morning I put some VetRx on her nostrils and will keep an eye on her. Mine stay out on the rain too. They aren't to bright.

9. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    everyone seems to be having problems lately hopefully just related to weather. her eyes are gloopy but better i think it is hard to tell. if it gloop or ointment ? will check in morning to see if they are crusted shut. i have had chickens for 6 years never had this happen before

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    critterranch, you have a double dapple dachshund? I have 3 dachshunds 1red called wild boar, 1 chocolate dapple, and 1 piebald dapple. I love dachshunds had had them in my life for many years, always heard doubles had alot of health problems is that correct? I checked on my bantam this evening when they went into the coop she wasn't breathing through her mouth so hopefully she had something in her throat that she got rid of. Hope yours is better too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by