Black Silkies....thought I had all roos but wondering if one is a hen?

jenniescholl

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
California
Hi,
I have 3 black silkies 3 1/2 mos old. Two I am positive are roos, but there's one that has a thinner "poof" on top of its head that I think may be a hen? Or just a balder roo? She (he?) seems to have slightly smaller wattles and comb than her brothers. What do you think? The first two pictures are of the "hen" and the last two are of the roosters.

Jennie
hmm.png

7259_july_111.jpg

7259_july_124.jpg

7259_july_110.jpg

7259_july_122.jpg

I'd also have to say 3 roos. I have a year old girl with a comb about that size, but you can't see any wattles and you can only see the comb if she dunks her head into water.
roll.png

Thanks for the input! It was the comb and wattles on the "hen" that made me second-guess myself. I have a buyer lined up for "her" but told him I wanted to make sure I was not selling him a rooster. Darn. :eek:

my 11 week old silkie girl (I hope!) has no wattles at all and a much smaller comb. i have three boys that have varying sizes of combs/wattles, but they all have something.

I think there's a good chance that you have a girl in third picture.

First, silkies are hard to sex no matter what, until they are around 6 months of age or more.

Secondly you have non-bearded silkies, so the comb and wattles are going to be sizeably different than bearded silkies. So what looks like a rooster, could actually be a hen, because the larger combs and wattles on non bearded silkies is decieving.

I was thinking pullet in that last pic, but then I had to go back, and saw that they're only 14 weeks old. I've never seen a silkie pullet, even a nb, with wattles that big at 14 weeks.

Quote:
The one in the third pic's comb looks pretty big for a pullet.

Wow- now I'm really confused
hmm.png
!!!! This is my first flock ever, too, so I'm still a newbie. I started out with 4 silkie chicks: 2 black, 2 blue. Our cat got one of the little blues when it was only days old.
sad.png
That was probably our only pullet! I guess I'll be on the safe side and hang on to him until I know for sure he's a hen- or not! For those of you that show, do silkie roosters make good show-guys?

Back
Top Bottom