1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by team edward, Oct 3, 2010.

1. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    hey who raises black silkies? i think they are just precious!

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
  3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Those are pretty birds oldtimegator!! Do black silkies get the greenish sheen in thier plumage like other black birds do? I can't recall ever seeing it in any of the black silkie pics and was just wondering?

5. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    mine came from a lavender x black egg [​IMG] she is amazing. a little on the larger size and is awesome at broodying many eggs [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Take a look at my two black/split lavender chicks I got from Judy at Oldtimegator recently! They are just beautiful! I have them in a large tote in my kitchen floor. They jump up on the side (16"high!) and perch there watching me cook and move around the room. Adorable!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yes, it is desirable for the black silkies to have some beetle green sheen on their feathers. It is most noticeable on the hard feathers of their wings, but many of mine also have it on their soft feathers. Some "lines" of black tend to be blacker. I try to purchase and breed the blackest birds I can. My black cock is coal black. You may not see it on juveniles, but by the time they have completely feathered in with their adult feathers, you should be able to see it.

If they are out in the sun a lot...like here in Florida...the black can become sunburned and look brownish. When they molt in the fall and their new feathers come in you will see them darken up quite a bit.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG] Y'all better stop posting such adorable pictures or I'm gonna have to sue y'all! [​IMG] ( JK! [​IMG] [​IMG] )

9. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I raise black silkies. They are my favorite. In fact, at the Great Falls, MT double show this weekend I took Champion featherleg in both shows with black silkie pullets- each judge chose a different one as champ. The pullets that won are from my Feb hatch of an AmyJo Piehl cock over a hen from Calesta Rieth (both owned by me). For blacks, black on black breeding is the way to go.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by