1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by camic, Aug 25, 2013.

1. camic

camic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    I have 2 straight run black silkies (bantam sized) who are about as cute as they can be. I have NO idea if they are roosters or hens. they were hatched in early may. (maybe 15 weeks-ish) I will try and post a few pictures tomorrow but I just wanted to know what kind of clues to look for in these little ones.

One looks like it has a slightly skinny neck and I keep thinking he/she/it looks more roo-ish. One is a little shorter and fatter (hen-ish) Neither have much of a comb.

anything else to differentiate these little fluff balls? No crowing and no bad behavior noted. And, I am SURE I will be able to tell if they start laying even though they are in with regular sized chickens (smaller eggs) but the other question is WHEN will I start seeing eggs from the bantie sized chickens?

I love this place;) so many helpful chicken crazy people... (like me!)

2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Post pictures and make sure you get full body and some good ones of their heads, so you can see the size of their combs. Do they have beards or wattles? (beards are feathers under the lower beak, whereas wattles are the dewlaps of skin that hang beneath a chicken's lower beak). They are usually at least 6 months old when they begin to lay.

3. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

I will wait for pics :)

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    You will need to post some pictures.
    But for now I can tell you this. Roosters will sometimes tend to have bigger feet and chunkier legs. Roosters' crest (or poof) will tend to be much smaller than a hen's. roosters will also start to get these long strandy feathers coming out of thier crest called 'streamers'. What else...? Oh! Also, keep a sharp eye out for comb and wattle development and/or reddening.
    Hope that helps!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by