Black skin, not a silkie!! What is she??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MTN Hens, May 11, 2016.

1. MTN Hens

MTN Hens Just Hatched

May 11, 2016
    After months, even years of discussion, my boyfriend & I finally brought home a bundle of joy in the form of 6 baby chicks! 3 of which are sexed pullets (I'm assuming buff orpington based on their feather colors) 1 white silkie bantam (who I've decided is a pullet) & 2 black "silkie bantams." However, after two weeks of intense observation I've decided there's no way these black birds are silkies. One of them doesn't even have black skin! I though maybe I got some austrolorps & was happy with that, but one of them does have black skin! As far as I know, the only readily available birds with black skin are silkies. So... any thoughts? Here are the babes:
    [​IMG] this is Sunny, my real silkie.
    [​IMG] This babe is nameless because I was afraid she could be a cockerel. She has some reddish/purple sheen to her feathers in the sun.
    [​IMG] This is the bird in question. Black skin, smaller than her black counterpart (but bigger than Sunny) but no leg feathers & her feathers aren't crimpy like Sunny. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone!! Even if I don't know what kind they are, it's fun to guess. What really matters is that they are happy, healthy chicks! <3

2. wyatt015

wyatt015 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2016
    I dont know but are all very very pretty

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    very hard to tell, if they are from a hatchery - the quality is usually very poor - or they may be mixed silkies.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The chick with white one the neck and belly could either be an Australorp or a Jersey Giant. For the other black chick, check the bottoms of the feet. If they are any color other than black, it does not have black skin, just a case of 'gypsy' face, that is caused by other melanizer genes. Can't see the comb properly, but possibilities are Sumatra or Black sexlink.

1 person likes this.
  5. MTN Hens

MTN Hens Just Hatched

May 11, 2016
    Bottoms of her feet and tiny comb are both black. I was thinking austrolorp for the black & white because she's definitely got some weight to her! Thanks!

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Picture of the 'tiny' comb and bottoms of the feet?

7. MTN Hens

MTN Hens Just Hatched

May 11, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Probably a little Sumatra. They are really gorgeous birds.

9. MTN Hens

MTN Hens Just Hatched

May 11, 2016
    Thanks! Regardless of what any of them are, they're all so pretty! Time will tell for sure what breed/ gender but for now we're loving taking care of the babies :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by