black slimy poop **gross pic**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeaucamom, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    One of my chickens pooped this out this morning. What could make them poop like this? And what do I do about it? Thanks. Suz

[​IMG]

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    the photo needs to be resized...I can only view a small portion of it

3. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    My chickens do that too. I'm not sure what causes it, but they seem healthy otherwise. I had a theory that the bread (treat) I was giving them was causing it, but that didn't seem to prove true.

I'll be checking back to see what every one else says!!

4. mockingbird girl

mockingbird girl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2007
    My chickens had a few slimy ones like that, but ranged from that color to a lighter brown. They all seem fine though!

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    if they have access to say blackberries or other such colored foods (while ranging for instance) it will affect the color of their poos in that fashion.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's Splort...normal...but gross.
    Different things that they eat can cause different colours too.
    As long as the rest of her ploops are fine, grey/green with a white cap, then there's nothing to be worried about.

7. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Splort?! That's a real word? [​IMG]

I guess I'll have to go home and tell DB our chickens are splorting!!!

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

LOL
    that's the sound it make when it hits the floor under DH's chair...[​IMG]

9. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    [​IMG]

10. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    [​IMG] splort [​IMG] [​IMG] Now that is funny. How many of you could read "the sound when it hits the floor under my husbands chair" and not do a little movie in your mind of that exact thing!!!

Okay seriously,..... what if she is doing it all the time. As I have been taking my puppy out to piddle 5 gazillion times a day, I am seeing these dark splorts all over the yard. I have no idea which one it is and anything short of putting each one in quarantine until it poops, I don't know how I'll figure it out. All my girls range together, so you would think, if it was something she ate, that they would have all eaten it. They are such copycats. Holy cow, I am really glad there are now bridges around here!!! (Mom..."If your friend jumped off a bridge would you????") [​IMG] But they all do seem to be healthy, no one is droopy. So maybe she just has IBS or something. hmmmm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by