Black snake killed my 16-wk pullet

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mdunn, Jun 23, 2010.

1. mdunn

mdunn New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    I'm so upset. I went to the hen house tonight to close up the chickens and found a black snake with the head of one of my almost-grown hens down his throat. The snake was about 5 1/2 ft long. We find them sometimes eating the eggs but everybody says they are good to have around to kill mice and rats and nobody every told me they could kill a grown chicken so I haven't worried about them and have just been "relocating them". No more. This one was dispatched swiftly. This is our first loss to a predator in over 2 years of keeping our small flock in the country. Guess we're not quite predator-proof enough.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Honestly, when I see my eggs disappearing or getting the "regurgitated" look, I break out the guns and go looking in the shed. Drape your coops with strawberry netting. The snakes get caught up in it.

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    If you suspect a snake is eating your eggs--------then blow out an egg and fill it with salt, tape the hole and place it back in the nest. It will kill the culprit.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I had a 5' long yellow rat snake (chicken snake) pull an adult Buff Orpington off it's perch and dragged it out it's house onto the ground around midnight several years ago. Luckily I was up and heard her screaming (my only screamer) and went out with the flashlight, saw the snake trying to contstrict her. I killed the snake with the shovel. When there's no rodents around, chickens are next.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by