Black snakes killed all my baby quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Valley quail breeder, May 17, 2010.

1. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I had 3 black snakes in 3 weeks each one was huge like 3 to 4 feet long they killed my baby chicks and ate my eggs I relocated them because there good for the environment with rodents and stuff but costing me a lot with my loss on quail any advice on how to keep them at bay?? does snake away or mothballs work??

2. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:I know if you use wire mesh smaller than their heads they cant get in to get your quail. Half inch by half inch should keep out any snake big enough to be a hazard to them.

Good job relocating them! I love snakes and hate rats, good job we have a nice big black snake living under the shed. Keeps the yard rat free [​IMG]

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I'm so sorry to hear that and hope you have a new hatch with plenty of babies soon.

The Coturnix we got from you are doing great. Almost time to start laying already! The boys are starting to crow. Looks like all 3 of the goldens ones are females though....great for eggs, shucks for hatching. LOL

My MIL uses moth balls in her garage and workshop to keep snakes out. It does seem to work. However, they reek so bad I really don't think quail (or other fowl) could tolerate them without it causing respiratory issues.

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Aren't you supposed to put a brown cock with your golden hens? Isn't there something about gold x gold? I've got to go look now......

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:brown cock X golden hen is supposed to get 50% of each brown and golden. golden X golden is supposed to be 25 % lethal because of the gold gene is lethal to birds that have 2 copies of it I have not gotten this far along yet all my pens are either gold cocks and brown hens or brown cocks and gold hens

6. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Quote:Did they get the Valley chicks and eggs???
    Thats devastating, Im sorry.

My advice is to try and keep the snakes away by keeping a large area around the pens clear of any vegetation or cover for the snakes.
    Snakes need the abillity to hide and escape from heat, if there is bare ground around the pens, the snakes will be less inclined to go there.
    Its tough to keep snakes out, and your right about their usefulness, thanks for not killing them!

I also might try pouring something like vinegar in a circle around the pen, to mask the odor trail.
    Snakes hunt by taste/smell, so make it taste/smell unappealing.
    Ive heard about mothballs, but have never tried.

There really isnt much that will stop a snake, except exclusion- smaller wire.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:brown cock X golden hen is supposed to get 50% of each brown and golden. golden X golden is supposed to be 25 % lethal because of the gold gene is lethal to birds that have 2 copies of it I have not gotten this far along yet all my pens are either gold cocks and brown hens or brown cocks and gold hens

Oh cool ! Then I can put a brown male with the golden females and get golden offspring in about 50% of a hatch. I didn't know 2 copies of gold is lethal...interesting!

8. Valley quail breeder

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    They got 12 baby valleys and the pen is made out of 1/4" wire and screen on walls and also chicken wire over the screen no holes I cant seem to figure how there getting in.
    [​IMG]

Quote:Did they get the Valley chicks and eggs???
    Thats devastating, Im sorry.

My advice is to try and keep the snakes away by keeping a large area around the pens clear of any vegetation or cover for the snakes.
    Snakes need the abillity to hide and escape from heat, if there is bare ground around the pens, the snakes will be less inclined to go there.
    Its tough to keep snakes out, and your right about their usefulness, thanks for not killing them!

I also might try pouring something like vinegar in a circle around the pen, to mask the odor trail.
    Snakes hunt by taste/smell, so make it taste/smell unappealing.
    Ive heard about mothballs, but have never tried.

There really isnt much that will stop a snake, except exclusion- smaller wire.

9. Valley quail breeder

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Glad there doin good for ya [​IMG]
    Quote:

10. dirtdoctor

dirtdoctor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Hollister, Califronia
    Snakes are really apt at getting in small spaces, I had a gopher snake get into a shipping container that had a gap of less than 1/2 inch in the door. That snake was 4 feet long. Moth balls or crushed moth balls will irritate them. Fine wire and mesh. Good luck sorry about your quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by