Black Snakes killing my quails

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Valley quail breeder, May 17, 2010.

1. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I have had major problems with snakes eating my quails and eggs, I've relocated 3 in 2 weeks each one was around 3' long I'm in a heavily wooded property does snake away or mothballs work??

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    search for snake traps on this forum

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest that you think about improving your pens, if you are not using 1/4 hardware cloth, maybe you should think about adding that. If that's not an option, stapling screen mesh for window screen/sliding glass doors (Sold at building centers in large rolls) is a great way to keep rodents and snakes out.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Old timers used to swear by sulfur to keep them away. I trap mice/rats 24/7/365 just keeping their food source limited seem to work good for me. I only see a couple a year depending on species sometimes I relocate other times I dispatch

5. swdunn0926

swdunn0926 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Fayetteville
    Also, a female cat will keep them away! Adopt and fix one today and she will do her job of controling mice,rats and snakes! I live between three lakes and woods ( less than a half a mile away) and have no problems thanks to my puttie cat! Good luck!

6. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

I use 1" chicken wire around the sides of my pens and 1/2" mesh for there floor, then around the bottom legs of the pens i have 1" poultry wire which keeps large and medium size snakes out.., any snakes that can get in they are to small to really do anything

The only down fall to pussy cats running loose is they kill other natural wild life and let them lay.. birds, lots of babie bunnies etc

Last edited: May 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by