Black Snakes....no friend of mine

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by buckrut, Jun 15, 2011.

1. buckrut

buckrut Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    New Kent County, Va.
    Getting first round of birds this weekend...finally. Getting 10 week old chicks and they will be in an enclosed pen outsider with a large coop. We don't have many but 1 sighting for a black snake is to many for me. How worried should I be and what precautions can I do? thanks

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I think the 10 week old would be safe from being eaten by a snake. You still don't wanna go to the coop & find one. I found one the other day in my hen house & it had eaten a fake egg didn't bother the chickens. The only way to keep them out is half inch hardware cloth everywhere & an apron on the bottom. This coop here is hopefully snake proof .[​IMG]

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

There was a gut using minnow traps with eggs as bait and catching multiple snakes in each one. I'm with you, the only good snake is a belt or boots. [​IMG] I can't imagine what motivates people to put up with them even when they reach under a hen for eggs and wind up with a handful of snake [​IMG]

4. dlee

dlee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2010
    Quote:I had many eggs eaten by snakes & I had some netting from Lowes for keeping birds out of my strawberrys. This netting has caught 5 snakes ( chicken snakes & copperheads ). The egg eating is getting fewer fast. The draught we are having here in E. Texas is drawing the snakes in for water also. Anything bother my chickens & eggs will not bother them again. [​IMG]

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Accck- good thought about the water--- I have a whole kiddy pool full...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by