1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black snakes

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Anita Scott, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Anita Scott

Anita Scott Just Hatched

May 21, 2017
    Thornfield, MO
    My Coop
    We have 16 good sized keets (they tower over the mason jar feeder) that are 4 weeks old. We started putting them in the guinnea coop during the day. They absolutely love the new playground. I started putting them in with the 3 larger guinneas, their parents and Buddy. Last night the pair went in the coop, but Buddy was on top of the coop and did not want to go in. I went out and coaxed him in and closed up the coop. The little ones went in with them and seemed to be doing fine.
    This morning I opened the door to let the big guinneas out and Buddy was down with the little ones. I found a dead baby, so I scolded Buddy and got him out. I got the pair out also. I gathered up the keets and only found 12 who were very willing to let me pick them up, which is quite unusual.
    I started to look for the other 3 bodies. Up in the corner I saw something behind the boxes of feed. I moved the boxes and it was a black snake.
    I had the pet carrier near the coop and gathered up the 12 keets. Put the two bodies to the side and got my husband and his 410.
    Apparently Buddy knew the snake was in there last night. I have never seen him on the ground in the morning. He seems to be my alert bird. I don't know if he was protecting the babies or might have killed a couple in the dark trying to defend them. They don't see very well at night. The snake had at least one keet inside when we found him.
    We will be keeping the keets inside for another month now, but let them out during the day.
    The coop is built out of pro-panel, but has a dirt floor where a snake can crawl under. I put moth balls around the outside of the house, but I guess that didn't work.
    My husband has never let me kill the good snakes, but now there is an all out war on all snakes. We have lost a dog to a pygmy rattlesnake, although she killed it. Lost a dozen eggs to a black snake. Now 4 keets too. The dogs have survived several copperhead bites, but they are on the list too. In the past we have only had problems with the pygmy and copperheads, now big black snakes are showing up everywhere.

Attached Files:

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sorry, The snake will run around and kill several then start eating/swallowing them----you just happen to get there before it eat its kill. If it killed and eat one----the one in it would cause it moving/killing problems----so it kills first.

OH---I have a Rule with the snakes----if they are in my chicken pen area, not good for them. If they stay away----They are good to GO.---

3. BoogieBug

BoogieBug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2017
    Paulding County (NW) GA
    Oh NO, that's not good! I have only four keets that will be 3 weeks old on Tuesday and they've been out in a chicken tractor for a week. Now I'll be even more of a Nervous Nellie worrying about my babies!! My husband says I'm over-reacting because I go and check on them through the night, but I can't help myself. We have two large barred owls that hang out on our property and while I haven't seen many snakes in he past, I did find a small garter snake a couple of months ago. I've also noticed that we have almost no frogs this year whereas in the past, every step I'd take, a dozen itty bitty frogs would scatter. This year, we have a "snake draw" with the keets. <sigh> I guess I need to keep the Glock with the flashlight on it locked and loaded. [​IMG]

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I Know what you mean so I built some some-what snake proof pens for my chicks and have not had any more problem---before that one snake killed 5 keets in just one pen.

5. BoogieBug

BoogieBug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2017
    Paulding County (NW) GA
    UGH!!! :hit

6. Anita Scott

Anita Scott Just Hatched

May 21, 2017
    Thornfield, MO
    My Coop
    At least I keep sending the eggs to my friend's incubator. trying to get her flock back up. She has a hawk or owl problem. I can get more keets anytime, but we are going elk hunting in august and I don't want small keets here alone. Might start another bunch when we get back.

BoogieBug likes this.
  7. chickfilletNOT

chickfilletNOT Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    Arkansas
    We have had a blacksnake kill and was attempting to swallow a six week old keet. I couldn't believe it bc I thought they were too big for snakes by then. There were two snakes in the coop that night and we heard the ruckus and went out there. Removed snakes, we don't kill them and it was just nerve-wracking until the keets got bigger.

8. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    I use mothballs, and they work, however, I actually place each one, so they are in a row on each side, not too far apart. Snakes are territorial. Removing one from the coop, or run rarely keeps it away for long, once it finds out it's a food source.

chickfilletNOT likes this.
  9. Anita Scott

Anita Scott Just Hatched

May 21, 2017
    Thornfield, MO
    My Coop
    I had mothballs around the entire coop every 4 inches. I thought that would help keep the snakes out. Now i

getaclue likes this.
  10. Anita Scott

Anita Scott Just Hatched

May 21, 2017
    Thornfield, MO
    My Coop

getaclue likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by