Black Soldier Fly Larva - BioPod

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by binders, Oct 19, 2011.

1. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Has anyone on here tried the BioPod for growing Black Soldier Fly Larva or any onther method? What have you found that works? I know it is getting to be the wrong time of year for this but am thinking of trying them out next spring. I am already farming mealworms but the black soldier fly larva seem to be even better.

Any advice?

2. OneTenthAcreAndAChicken

OneTenthAcreAndAChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    San Diego
    I first discovered BSF when our compost pile got too wet. This was before we got our chickens [​IMG] Since then a friend of ours has made a BSF container that's pretty similar to the basic bucket design but not quite so intricate. He just stacked 2 buckets, and the inner bucket had a bunch of tiny holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. And yes, it works really well. You can hear them eating away inside the bucket - kinda gross, but kinda cool too.

You can get some plastic tubing at the hardware store that can be cut in half lengthwise to make the ramps for them to climb up and out into your collector. Velcro around the top edge is good to keep them from climbing out anywhere else.

I'm also considering trying it out in the spring - then I think we'll need a triple 'compost' separator on the kitchen counter - 1 for stuff that's good for the chickens, 1 for stuff that's for the main compost and 1 for stuff that will go to the BSF bucket. The nice thing about them is that they're happy with all kinds of kitchen waste - even stuff you wouldn't give to the hens or put in your compost - like moldy cheese, or other rotten protein/fats.

Please post your pictures if you make one.

3. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I love black soldier fly larvae. My chickens go nuts for them. I only 'farm' them from my compost pile. They love chicken poop and if they are in your area and you clean your coop out in spring you will probably get some if they are in your area. Now that it is cooler they have gone away. I am mealworm farming trying to make up some extra protein treats but the natural black soldier fly population kept me in way more larva than my mealworms probably ever will. My hubby got smart and froze some back during the summer when we had tons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by