Black Spanish Poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by sodbuster, Jul 26, 2010.

1. sodbuster

sodbuster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    My dad and I have been hatching out chicks and guineas and have just
    recently hatched out our first turkeys. Out of 18 only 7 made it to lockdown and out
    of that 7 only 4 hatched but they seem to be doing great. We have never raised turkeys and
    I had a question or 2 to ask and hoping maybe someone here could give me an
    answer.
    The poults right now are in a brooder with the guinea keets. They all get along together
    and I know that the turkeys are eating the feed good since we have observed
    them eating and drinking regulary. The thing is any time we pick them up and feel of their crop
    it always feels empty compared to the baby chicks whose crops always seem full. Is
    this normal? They are growing real good and look good and healthy.
    Also, these are 4 Black Spanish poults. Is there a way to sex them without waiting until
    they are grown?
    I am posting a couple of pictures of them and hope someone can answer my questions. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Those poults are not purebred Black Spanish. They look identical to the poults I hatched 2 years ago that were Black Spanish/Bourbon Red crosses.

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    As long as they're growing and looking good, I wouldn't worry about then too much. My poults seemed to eat a little at a time with frequent visits, so maybe their crops didn't feel full. I certainly didn't observe them bulging like chickens do sometimes. I encouraged mine to eat more by scooping some food in my hand. Once they ate a little from my hand, they would invade the feeder trough. At least then i knew that they knew where the food was and could get more if they wanted it.

Alas, sexing takes time. Some males will start displaying at a couple of weeks, but some report hens doing the same thing. This year's flock is 12 weeks old, and I still have one of 14 that I'm waffling on. You can make some guesses by six weeks, see snood and caruncle differences around 10 weeks. Size differences somewhere in there as well. And you still might not know for sure!

Post more pictures at 8 weeks and see what people say [​IMG]

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Quote:Good answer. I have had hens display before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by