Black Spanish turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Eckielady, May 22, 2017.

1. Eckielady

Eckielady Songster

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    i got these two and thought they were black Spanish but I'm starting to wonder if they're mixes. His stripes on his feathers are different and she doesn't have gray feet. Either she's a mix or she's got some blood loss going on somewhere. She's super pale.
    So, BS or I was thinking maybe they're a mix between the bs and maybe the bronze heritage?

Attached Files:

2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    There really isn't a Black Spanish anymore. The APA only recognizes a Black turkey and they can descend from more sources than Black Spanish. Many Black Slates are sold as Black Spanish and many of those are not a pure Black. Your tom is not a pure Black. He appears to be a Barred Black. A pure Black will not have barring on its wing feathers.

3. Eckielady

Eckielady Songster

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    So the barred black is not a heritage turkey?

4. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    All turkeys that are not the broad breasted meat varieties are heritage turkeys no matter what their color variety is. Barred Blacks as well as all the other color varieties shown on Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys are heritage turkeys.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  5. Eckielady

Eckielady Songster

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Thanks much. Any thoughts on the hens skin color? Just can't figure out if it's normal or if she may have bugs on her.

6. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Her head color can change just like the tom's head color changes based on the mood at the time. All the paleness indicates to me is that she like the tom is not a pure black. As near as I can tell from the feet pics, both appear to be about the same shade.

Good luck.

7. Turkey parents

Turkey parents Chirping

Dec 2, 2015
    North New Mexico
    According to the ALC (American Livestock Conservancy) the Spanish Black is while rare is still very much available. Conflicting information so it's hard to know who is correct

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: