1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black & Splash Orpington Chicks....and a Meg Baby, too (PICS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Apr 4, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Dusty keeps trying to get her ten-day-old chicks to come outside. They just won't except one of the Black Orp babies. Took a few pics of them today. She has one black barred EE baby in the bunch, too, and it's standing on the back of the straw in the second picture. The interesting red baby with bluish wash of color is Meg's (RIRxBuff Orp hen with Blue Orp roo)
    The Orps are for sale and certainly someone wants these beautiful babies [​IMG] Smoky, Dusty's sister, is the mother of all three pure Orps, I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Oh they are adoreable!! [​IMG] And momma is a looker too!!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I love all your fuzzy butts!!! Such a good momma!!

4. speckledhen

Nugget is taking her babies, one week older than these, all over the place. Dusty can't get hers to come out of the building. Silly babies. [​IMG]

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Awww, the momma hen looks so sweet with her babies. [​IMG] I really love the shape of Orpington chicks. They seem unique in some way.

6. speckledhen

They are very round, aren't they? Cute little things. You know, never had pasty butt with broody-raised chicks. Love that! Dusty just looks like she is in a state of maternal bliss all the time--this is all she ever wanted to do with her life! The babies sit on her back and I just love that. Nugget is a natural, too. I'm blessed with good broodies. Now, I'm just wondering when the ones who've gone broody in the past will go over the edge again. Hopefully, not till these babies are in their new homes!

7. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    I want a blue baby! But I think you're a bit far to ship to TX. Besides, hubby's putting together the nest boxes as I type. The new Fort Knox is in progress, but I'm not holding my breath. (My bum hurts from the up/down of painting everything! LOL) Those are gorgeous babies, as always. Congrats!

8. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I'd love a blue baby too! Your just to far away to drive to get it.

9. speckledhen

Dont remind me! I have to repaint the coops this spring. Ugh.

10. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I will have to post a pic of my Mutt chick, it looks identical to your black one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by