Black splash versus Blue splash

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
So the discussion came up today at a show about "blue splash" versus "black splash". I would call our pullet (below) a black splash (to distinguish that her markings are very, very dark). Is there any genetic difference in birds that have very, very dark (black) markings versus those that are much lighter (blue)? Can you breed to enhance one or the other shades?

9079_pb120037.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not really sure of any actual genetic difference, I just find that "blue splash" birds often come from a breeding of a decent or pale blue bird on a splash bird. Black Splash comes from a BBS breeding, usually with blues that aren't too pale.

I've got a "blue splash" who you could hardly tell she's splash. The blue on her is very pale, and her blue sisters are already so uniform and pale, they look like Lavenders.

I think it's the same as dark blue vs light blue. I've got an incredibly light, almost Lavender-like blue Jersey Giant from blue x splash breeding, and an incredibly dark blue Ameraucana from blue x black breeding.

There is no such thing as "black splash" or "blue splash." There is only splash. Which is two copies of the blue gene: Bl/Bl. Splash, like blue, can vary quite a bit in depth of colour, aka shade or tint. The background colouring of splash can vary from white to dark slate; the spashing can vary from subtle light blue to a sharply contrasted vary dark blue.

I certainly understand that splash is bl/bl and therefore "blue", but I guess my question was really this: Is there any particular breeding combination that is more likely to give you a dark blue splash (I've heard it called "black splash" to indicate a difference of the lighter splash) versus a light splash.

Of course, I also realize that splash to splash will eventually fade your splashes coloring. I also realize that this is probably an opinion answer rather than a scientific/genetic one.

We get both shades from the same hen/roo combination with every hatch and yes I know it's the same hen blue to splash breeding.I seldom do splash to splash but when I do there is also a wide variety of splash shades...and those chicks will not be crossed to splash again here.

Im just now done with hatching a bunch of blue chicks from a splash/black cross, and I have every color of blue imaginable, from light lavender, to so dark it practically looks black.

Sonoran, is the bird pictured above is what you would call a dark blue splash? Looks black to me although genetically it's impossible, but like blues, you want light blues not dark blues where you can't tell if it's black or blue. So one like me would cull such a dark blue splash bird to improve there program. Would a splash with extremely dark blue splashing almost black to the human eye be considered a cull? What is the desired color?

Back
Top Bottom