1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black spot between hock and belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yellowswirl, Mar 19, 2015.

1. yellowswirl

yellowswirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Hi all,

I brought my new pullets home yesterday and within in a few hours, I noticed one was not putting weight on one of her legs.She's holding it up and not putting any weight on it. I can manipulate it and she doesn't squeal. She's slept a lot today and hasn't moved much at all. I've sectioned her off from the other chicks because they started pecking and standing on her. I've been moving her myself to the food and water, and she's been eating and drinking.

Tonight, I noticed a hard black spot between her hock and her belly. It almost seems as if her whole leg is shorter than the other one.

Not sure what it is or what I should do. Like I mentioned, she does eat and drink when I move her to the food and water. But she spends most of her time curled up behind the thermometer.

I got them from Tractor Supply. And all the other ones are active, chirping and preening.

Any thoughts?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you post a picture of the black spot? She may need to be separated by a small partition inside the brooder from the others if she is being pecked. She needs to get extra fluids and food if she is sleepy. Vitamin-electrolytes such as SaveAChick may be good to offer her while dipping her beak into the water as often as possible. She could have suffered an injury, or may have a retrained umbilical stump, but pictures will help. BluKote is a spray that colors wounds blue to discourage pecking. Gentian violet is the active ingredient, and can also be purchased in the first aid aisle of most stores. Try to get her back with mates as soon as possible.

3. yellowswirl

Mar 19, 2015
    Here are a few photos, and a little video of how she's walking. It's hard to get a good photo of the area I'm referring. I do have her sectioned off in the brooder. I've been offering her water every hour and she does take a sip. She is moving around a little bit and was eating a little, but does seem really sleepy.

I'll try the SaveAChick. I've read about giving Poly-vi-sol. Is SaveAChick like that?

Here's the video of her trying to walk:

[​IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6791405/width/200/height/400[/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

4. yellowswirl

Mar 19, 2015
    Thanks for the response. I tried to upload images, but I wasn't allowed. It said my post had to be approved.

Anyway, I do have her sectioned off in the brooder. She is eating a little and drinks when I offer it to her. The other chicks are definitely up and running and she isn't. I will certainly try the SaveAChick. Is the SaveAChick like the vitamin supplement PolyViSol?

When trying to take the photo, I saw better that the black spot does look like an injury. I'm not sure if it's a scab or possibly bone sticking through. I don't really know. She's so tiny and I've never handled chicks before. Plenty of kittens and puppies, but never itty bitty chicks.

Her foot curls when she's not using it. And when she tries to walk, her toes and leg flares out to the back.

Hopefully the moderators will approve my last post with the pics and video link of her trying to walk.

5. yellowswirl

Mar 19, 2015
    She didn't make it. This morning she had what looked like a hematoma under her wing. We found her laying half in and half out of her water dish. I still don't know what was wrong. Thankfully the rest of the little ones are doing great.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry to hear that you lost her. Whatever the injury to her leg, from the video, it didn't look like she would fair well. Perhaps she accidentally was stepped on or injured in her previous home. Too bad that you had to go through this and lose her.

7. yellowswirl

Mar 19, 2015
    Thank you so much. It's crazy how quickly they they grow on you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by