Black spot in egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HH0611, May 1, 2017.

1. HH0611

HH0611 Just Hatched

Mar 11, 2017
    I am incubating duck eggs and everything is going great. They are still alive and kicking, and there are still blood vessels throughout the eggs. I do see what looks like a dark spot in the egg. What does that mean? Could it harm the duckling? Does it mean I have done something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Hannah

2. Erka97

Erka97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2017
    What day are you on?
    If you're maybe a week to two weeks, maybe more, in, that's probably the eye. Once it develops, it's a pretty obvious black spot in the egg for quite some time, generally until the chick gets big and has feathers so it blends in more. Were you to open an egg at this point you would see why; the eyes are huge compared to the size of the chicks and they're really the only dark spots on them at that stage, so they're pretty obvious.
    Unless the spot is in a different part of the egg than the chicks? Then I'm really not sure.

3. HH0611

HH0611 Just Hatched

Mar 11, 2017
    I am in the last stretch. They are due to hatch on Monday. It looks like a blood spot away from the embryo.

4. Erka97

Erka97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2017
    That's odd, but all you can really do is wait. I hope they hatch.

5. HH0611

HH0611 Just Hatched

Mar 11, 2017
    Thank you. They look to be developing normally and moving around just fine. Maybe I am just being overly worried. I do have one more question. What would you say the best brooder lamp would be for ducks? I have seen the regular lamps, but I have also heard blue lamps are good because they are calming.

6. Kelly1335

Kelly1335 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2017
    H

Hi did you find out what this is I have the same in 2 of my duck eggs ...did they hatch ok ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by