Black Spot on one side of comb

NewChickmom2016

Songster
5 Years
May 25, 2016
Hi-
My 21 week old Black Australorp has developed a black spot on one side of her comb. The very tips of the comb sometimes also look like they might be black. We live in CA- the weather has been in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. Other than the black spot, she is acting normal, eating well. She is not yet laying, but I suspect will be the first of our 3 to lay.
Can anyone tell me if this is something I should be concerned about?
thank you!!!
-Jerie

Thank you- I haven't seen any pecking between the 3 of them- but will definitely keep an eye out. I'm reading a lot about dry pox right now- wondering if that might be it?
We are brand new to back yard chickens- so a pretty big learning curve!
-Jerie

Pox is easier to make out if there are more spots than one. A very black spot is usually from pecking, while pox can vary in color from a light biege to dark brown, and may be more numerous. When I see the dark areas on the tips of the comb, that can also be from other chickens or injury on fencing.

Thank you!
Just one spot- on one side of the comb right now. First saw it yesterday. And then depending on the light I can sometimes see tiny bits of black on the tips of the comb. I will keep a close eye and see if someone is picking on her.
thank you
-Jerie

Back
Top Bottom