1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Spot on Rooster's comb...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sgtwaldo, Sep 29, 2010.

1. sgtwaldo

sgtwaldo New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    Can anyone tell me if this is cancer or fowl pox or what? I have three roosters and all three of them have it...

[​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Have no clue, but maybe check fowl pox?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Your description sounds like fowl pox, but in the pic, the spot does not look black. If it is fowl pox, you don't really have to do anything about it, just watch for local infection. All the spots will disappear in about three weeks, they will go away pretty suddenly, and then those birds will be immune to it.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

I think the reason all 3 rosters have the same problem is that those are wounds from fighting. It is not pox. I am fairly certain it is not cancer. Those are wounds that look a little irritated. I would put some wound dressing on them- Neosporin, Blukote or even Bag Balm.

Good luck.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I agree with CMV...the boys are vying to be alpha roo.

6. sgtwaldo

sgtwaldo New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    Hmm, thanks for the info guys. I should ad that these Roos have had this for about three months and they dont heal so from what you guys are saying it wouldnt be the pox right?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They are picking/pecking at the same spots apparently. Use BluKote to put on the wounds, it'll help disguise them. I can assure you that if it was fowl pox, the nodules and scabs would be all over their combs and wattles, around the eyes. Fowl pox normally disappears in a months time....give or take a week or two. They're picking on each other. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by