1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black spot on the inside of the egg at the bottom..? Still need help..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stitch81, Jun 7, 2011.

1. stitch81

stitch81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I have set 26 eggs, 20 of which I can see are developing just fine. The remaining 6 (these were part of the shipped batch) have shells that are too dark, or "splotchy" (the shells are splotchy) looking when candled, so it is nearly impossible to see if they are developing as well. One of these 6 has a black spot floating around inside the egg at the bottom. The eggs are set upright in a carton that has a pvc pipe glued to the bottom so it tilts the eggs back and forth, instead of the eggs laying on their sides and me turning them. I had heard that for shipped eggs, it was better to have them upright in case air cells got moved around. But, any idea what it means that there is a black spot floating around inside the egg at the bottom?? We are starting on day 6 btw.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Could it be bacteria...did you smell the egg?

OR it could just be the little chick developing! [​IMG] I'm hoping that would be the case!

3. stitch81

stitch81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    The bottom portion of the egg is actually easier to see into, but there is just the spot. No veining that I can see. But if it was a chick growing, would it be all the way at the bottom of the egg? It appears that the yolk is at the top. As for smell, there is no smell that I can detect.

4. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Even though you can't see veining, I would hang on to it longer since there isn't a smell. Try re-candling around day 10 and perhaps you will have a better idea of what's going on. Keep me updated! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by