Black spots, drooping comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ErinRBullock, Aug 29, 2014.

1. ErinRBullock

ErinRBullock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    My poor Queenie!! My 18 week old Plymouth Rock's comb started to droop and now has black spots. She otherwise appears normal, eating normally, and laid her first egg earlier this week. The other hens of the flock appear normal.
    Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    I have seen this with my chickens at times and it seems to come and go. I'm not sure what the cause is, but there doesn't seem to be any illness. Maybe the heat?[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. ErinRBullock

ErinRBullock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    I hope so!! It has been rather hot here (90+ degrees) this last week or two. The coop stays relatively cool, though. She's the sweetest hen we have. I'd hate for anything to happen to her!!

4. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    I didn't see the photo until just now and I don't think you have anything to worry about. The black spots are dried blood. Hens can be pretty rough on each other sometimes, that's where the term "pecking order comes from". The marks are from squabbling and this is normal when hens are working out the pecking order. She is coming of age and the older hens are asserting their dominance.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by