Black spots on all my roo's combs?

sixlittlechicks09

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Wyalusing
Hey everyone! I have four roosters right now, two OEGBs and two RIR's. My biggests RIR's comb's tips have turned black, like they've been frost bitten, but it hasn't gone below 60 degrees here, even at night. My two little OEGBs have black spots on the inner part of the comb. They're not scabs, the actual comb is black. =[ What could be wrong with them? I'll post some pictures in the morning. Thanks everyone!

This came from another message on the question of black comb spots asked a few years ago..

It might be "comb scab." When pecking each other, chickens often go for unprotected areas like the comb and wattles. If the skin is broken, a black scab will form (just like scabs on an injured human). Since he's new, he's probably been in a few pecking order squabbles.

It's not cold enough for it to be frostbite, or that would be my other guess

here is the link to check out

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=77373

hope this helps

Christal

I just read on another post that anemia is what causes the comb to turn black. If you dont see bleeding on the chickens or in their poop maybe there is an intestinal parisite causing it. Can you bring a stool sample to a vet to get tested? Thats my best guess.

Quote:
No real symptoms, they're all acting wonderfully except for the combs. I don't think they're scabs? One of our roosters does have a scab from being picked and these don't look like this. What do I ask the vet? Do I just call and see if they'll test chicken stool?

Thats what Id do. Just call and see if they will test a stool sample for you. If there is something living in there it could cause anemia for sure. It might help to post pictures. I'm picturing areas of black not true spots.

That's what they are, areas of black. Mostly the tips except on my OEGB, he's got a dime sized oval of black colored skin on his comb. The skin on the comb looks totally normal, except on the spots were it's black not red. I'm getting all freaked out that it might be blackhead or some horrible disease
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom