1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Spots on an Egg in the Incubator. What is it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhino533, May 4, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    The eggs have been in the incubator for 14days now. I noticed today that I could see black spots on one of the eggs. It seems to be black on the pores inside the egg. Do you think the eggs is ok or rotten? I canadled it and light can't get through the egg much so it's hard to tell if it's ok but it makes me think something is growing inside either a chick or something rotten. The egg smells normal. The eggs are brown so it's even harder to candle. Any ideas what could cause this and if the eggs is rotten or not?

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Quote:Sounds like you might be describing pores in the eggshell. If the light doesn't get through the egg at day 14 means you most likely have a chick developing in the egg.

The only time I had rotten eggs in the bator, I noticed the eggs were actually weeping their contents and the aircells were enormous due to the build up of gases.

Carolyn

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

A porous egg maybe?
    Or maybe it's blood spots?

Picture of my porous egg ~
    [​IMG]

4. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    If it were rotten you would smell it right away!

5. ScissorChick

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Quote:x2
    However I've had them explode on me during lockdown, and I never knew they were rotten. [​IMG]

6. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:The egg was a bit porus at the start of the incubation. Because it is a bit porous does that mean it's probably rotten or the egg should be fine?

7. ScissorChick

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    No Porous eggs can hatch. I doupt it's rotten [​IMG]

They usually have trouble holding humidity, and somtimes have problems

with bacteria getting into the egg. No reason NOT to try, eh? [​IMG]

8. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    "Porous" and "black spots" are not necessarily the same thing. Have the black spots been there since the start of incubation, or have they developed as the eggs have been incubating. Black spots on the inside of the shell can indeed indicate the bacterial growth of a rotting egg. It may not have reached the degree to which it begins to smell like a rotting egg, but I would definitely proceed with caution where that egg is concerned. Watch it carefully and handle it with extreme care - often rotting eggs remain intact until they are jostled, and then can explode spreading stench and bacteria around your incubator and other eggs. You might want to consider whether this possibility may exist in your egg and whether it is worth putting the rest of the hatch at risk.

ETA: Note - when removing a questionable egg, such as yours, it is a good idea to put a plastic bag over your hand and take hold of the egg with it, closing the bag around it as you grab it. This way, if there is an explosion it will be contained in the bag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by