Black spots on chicken's comb, wattles, and earlobe

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickens Funny, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Chickens Funny

Chickens Funny New Egg

Jul 14, 2015
    I was out this morning and saw black spots on my buff orpington's comb, wattles and earlobe. Is she getting a disease or is it too hot for her?

2. CalgaryFarmer

CalgaryFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

On mine, I had dark spots on the comb and attributed that to watermelon juice that got dirty and dried. Trying wiping it off with a cloth.

I am assuming it is not cold where you are.

3. lugnut151

lugnut151 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    South Georgia
    if the black spots are like little scabs all over comb and wattles, then good chance it could be fowl pox.

4. Chickens Funny

Chickens Funny New Egg

Jul 14, 2015
    [​IMG] Thank you. I was also wondering is the disease harmful or not?

5. lugnut151

lugnut151 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    South Georgia
    Theres 2 kinds of fowl pox, wet and dry. Dry is not that bad but wet is. Several of mine have lived through dry pox without treatment and been just fine. I have no experience with wet pox but put fowl pox in the search box and you will get a slew of answers. I do know dry pox is the scabs on wattles and comb. I believe wet pox appear in the mouth and throat.

6. giannini

giannini Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Reno, Nevada
    A couple of my hens got this. It wasn't a bad case. Just small black spots on the comb, and a few on the wattles. It started with my white leghorn. I used some grapefruit seed extract on it, and then oregano oil. I put it in their water, and some diluted in olive oil directly on the spots. Two other hens had it(I have 8 chickens in all) the same. It seemed to run it's course quickly(1 week)and never progressed to anything worse. I read that once they get it, they won't get it again. I didn't notice it on all of them so I am hoping the oregano oil in the water kept the others from getting it. Oregano oil and grapefruit seed extract are natural antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by