black spots on comb and wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dc73nova, Dec 6, 2010.

1. dc73nova

dc73nova Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    What would cause black spots to suddenly appear on most of my roo's (haven't noticed it on the hens) within the last week or so? It hasn't gotten that cold. The lowest the temp has been is in the high 20's at night. They are 21 weeks old and the hens just started laying Saturday. Any ideas?

Darryl

2. chickmaniac250

chickmaniac250 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2010
    is that farenheit or celsius???? what size coop do you have that could be the factor

3. dc73nova

Apr 29, 2010
    The temp is *F. The coupe is 10' x 12'. I don't mind so much if it is from the cold, I just didn't know if I had something else going on. My wyandotte's are getting the spots as well and they don't have the large comb and are supposed to be cold hardy. I don't consider mid 20's at night to be "cold" but I could be wrong. It is ironic that it has been happening since this latest cold snap.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Sometimes it is a well placed peck by another hen or roo. What does it look like? Is it on the tips of the comb or further down? Is it wet looking? Like bunches together or just an occasional spot.? Chickens can get a disease that causes spots too. Too many causes to make a guess. sorry Gloria Jean [​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Could be fowl pox, but that is usually brought in by mosquitoes, so unlikely this time of year. You could do a search of fowl pox and look at some of the pictures posted. If it looks like what you have going on then you know what it is. I am thinking you may have a picker in the group. Scabs from fighting or pecking show up as black spots on the combs and wattles.

6. dc73nova

Apr 29, 2010
    Could be the picking. I have several roosters in the coupe that are 21 weeks old and starting to get a little too fiesty. Its time to start culling them, but its so hard to pick the ones I want to keep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by