Black spots on comb tips?

ginger c.

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Alabama
Ok, we have several chicken issues all at once (the broke beak thread). A few days ago I noticed my chicken's comb getting black at the tips.
I know a chicken can get frostbite, but we live in Alabama. It hasn't dropped below freezing yet.
You can see the discoloration in the pic below. Is this something we should worry about? Or is this something simple like she scratched it on something?

Yes, we're new chicken owners and full of questions.

Thanks in advance.

87741_ruby.jpg

Those are scabs from someone pecking her most likely. You could put some neosporin w/out pain relief on it, they should heal just fine.

Quote:
I have one rooster. She won't let him get up on her.
A week or two ago an easter egger we have was trying to hold this one down so the roo (a silkie) could mount her... but she always managed to get away.
smile.png

Maybe he thinks that comb is a rein???

Quote:
It's just her. She is healthy otherwise... no coughing, sneezing, etc

and today she laid her first egg! YAY!!!!!!!

bun.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif

Last edited:
Congrats on your first egg!
yippiechickie.gif

One of my RIR's has this as well, I'm glad I found this post. I noticed them a few days ago... one on the comb tip was an opened wound that I cleaned with peroxide and vasiline. One of her sisters got the better of her. Then the other day, the same sister latched on to her waddle pretty hard and there are a few scabs (almost like scratches)

She is otherwise fine, eating, scratching, jumping, laying.... with of course the quick escapes from the mean girl!

Back
Top Bottom