Black Spots on Comb [Update:Thanks Everyone]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by polishchickens111, Dec 27, 2011.

1. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    Two of my pullets have black spots on their combs.

Fish- Easter egger pullet. 5 1/2 months old.
    Pea comb.
    A couple small black spots- maybe 5, very tiny.

Sesame- New hampshire red pullet. 5 1/2 monts old.
    [​IMG]
    A couple small black spots- maybe 3.
    One or two medium spots.
    One large spot underneath folded place in comb.

I have noticed this for two days. It gets down to about a low of 20 degrees. They spend daytime in the run (hardware cloth) and nighttime in the coop. My dad has put shutters on most of the windows in the coop and plastic over the others, except for the door. They have not been free ranging recently. The coop is a plywood box, elevated, unheated. They just switched to layer pellets. We gave them a heated water dish. The old metal one is still in there. They did not get any treats.

Thank you for any advice.

EDIT: Sesame also has a small chip out of the end of her beak. She is not affected by it, she still ate the apple with regular vigor. I noticed this today. It is very, very, small. Should I do anything to fix this?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The black spots are from pecking one another, a common and normal occurrence. The chipped beak needs no intervention. The chicken will file it down while doing whatever it is that chickens do. If the black spots were related to fowl pox, most if not all of your birds would have them.

3. polishchickens111

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    OK! Thanks. I suspected that, but the Easter Egger is at the top of the pecking order, and Sesame's spot is very large. I'm so glad that they're OK.

4. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
  5. polishchickens111

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    Quote:Oh my. My hens seem bright and healthy, though. Their blackness looks a bit different, a bit like a sticky tar or something instead of the dull grey-black. I think a scab sounds more likely. I'm sorry about your poor boy. [​IMG]

6. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Yes, that is what mine looked like about 5 weeks prior to those pics. black scab type things and no other symptoms. He got picked on by the other rooster so that's what I assumed it was. I noticed yesterday now my other rooster has started getting them too, they look just like your pictures. Even though my hens are in the same room (seperated by a cage) they all seem fine as of yet. Hopefully yours isn't affected by anything!

And, thanks [​IMG]. It was horrible, he didn't put up a fight at all, just layed there.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  7. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Our roosters have those spots all the time.

So sorry for your loss, Squawkbox. I read your thread. [​IMG]

8. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    I have a little pekin hen that started with similar small patches of black it has now spread more but she is acting normally in any other way eating, scratching about etc. I actually took her to an avian vet who ruled out avian pox but he did not know what it was. He did tests but we are still no wiser. I am keeping a close eye on her and hopefully she will be OK as she is a very sweet hen and a family favorite. I will try to post pictures later on so you can compare to your hens black patches.

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    It's actually hard to tell from your pictures what the black marks are, as they are a little blurry. My hens peck each others' combs when competing for their favorite roost spots, and most of the peck marks are on the comb tips and a small amount of fresh or dried blood is often visible. I would suggest keeping a close eye on them. If these are peck marks, you will notice them healing and fading in a day or 2, and perhaps other peck marks appearing. If there is obvious progression, then I would suspect fowl pox. Here is some informtion on fowl pox, including a discussion on how this disease progresses. http://www.avianweb.com/fowlpox.html Hope this helps [​IMG]

Edited to add: I think frostbite would appear on the tips of the combs, wouldn't it?

Edited again (sorry): Here is a thread with some frostbite pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=444280

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  10. polishchickens111

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    I'll give it a few days. Thanks everyone for info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by