Black spots on comb

Bamachics

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2017
What is causing this? Comb is pale with two black spots. One looks like a scab. Then she has this thing in her beak. I wormed the whole flick yesterday.

IMG_4433.JPG
IMG_4434.JPG
IMG_4433.JPG
IMG_4434.JPG
IMG_4433.JPG
IMG_4434.JPG
What is causing this? Comb is pale with two black spots. One looks like a scab. Then she has this thing in her beak. I wormed the whole flick yesterday.
Picture please. It could be frostbite, fowl pox, or just comb color change. Thanks!
Picture please. It could be frostbite, fowl pox, or just comb color change. Thanks!
Not cold enough here in the south for frost bite. Looking like pox

Not cold enough here in the south for frost bite. Looking like pox

Definitely frost bite just put a little Vaseline on that for a few days and it should get better
Vaseline won't 'heal' frostbite, tho it may help prevent it.
It's best to leave frostbitten tissue alone to avoid damaging it further and introducing infection producing bacteria.

Fowl Pox. There are 2 kinds, called wet pox, and dry pox. It would appear you have dry pox, but it's just starting. At this point, there is really nothing to do except let it run it's course. Don't let the others pick at the scabs, although mine never did. If one looks like it might be getting infected, or simply really bad looking, use antibiotic ointment WITHOUT Pain Relief on it. Once it runs it's course, your chickens will be immune for life.

Does look like it could be fowl pox.
How old is bird?
Is she laying?
Any other signs of ill health?
Comb otherwise look pretty normal to me.

Huh??

Some hens and roosters have such large combs that the tips may become a blue or black color. I just read a thread on it yesterday. Let me see if I can find it. Sorry for the confusion!

Back
Top Bottom