Black spots on comb???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gigi005, Aug 29, 2010.

1. gigi005

gigi005 New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    Hello! Newbie here to the forums and the chicken world, so bare with me if I'm asking a question that's been asked a million times...

My chickens have these black spots on their combs. Here's the info on them...

2 of 6 chickens have them bad, 2 of the others have one small spot on theirs.
    I am not sure of the breed (black/brown chickens)
    I'm not sure if they are still laying eggs because I don't know which chickens are giving me eggs. I am getting 4+ eggs a day.
    They are 8 months old.
    I think they've had the spots for up to a month, I just noticed this last week, my husband noticed several weeks ago and forgot to tell me [​IMG]
    They are behaving normally and the poop looks normal.
    I haven't treated them at all yet.
    The coop missed its cleaning for a few weeks, once I saw this I cleaned it very thoroughly!
    Bedding consists of pine shavings.
    Their diet is corn mash and veggie leftovers.

Any ideas what this is? And more importantly, can we eat the eggs, they're stacking up fast!

thanks so much for any help!
    lisa

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Brown Leghorn, do they peck at each other a lot?

3. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    I am no expert

Do they free range at all? Maybe they are missing protein in their diet? Do you have crushed oyster shell out for them for calcium?

Like I said - not sure myself but those may be some questions you'll want to give info on as well

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  4. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    Quote:i agree. they look like scabs on the comb from pecking at each other

5. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    It might be dry pox. It is not as serious as wet pox. It usually goes away on its own..if it is that.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Maybe it's Fowl Pox. It can be transmitted by mosquitoes, are there many where you are? And it usually affects your younger birds, ones going through their first summer/mosquito season. Once they've gotten it they usually are able to fight it off by themselves and then form a lifelong immunity to it. I know an old experienced chicken keeper who says to dab black liquid shoe polish on the spots. You could do that, or just watch them for any other symptoms. If they're otherwise doing fine you could just leave them be and one day you'll notice that the spots are all gone.

If they had been pecking each other's combs I think you would find spots in varying stages of severity, some fresh & bloody, others scabbed over & healing.

Just my $.02

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sort of looks like the end stages of Fowl Pox to me, too.

8. gigi005

gigi005 New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    hmmm, I thought about Fowl Pox, if thats the case, can the eggs be eaten?

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, I'd think they'd be fine to eat.

10. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like Fowl Pox to me. Fowl Pox is not a fatal disease but keep your eye out for other illness. You can boost their immune system while they are showing the signs with antibotics unless you want to eat the eggs. Eventually the spots will go away and they will be immune to it like us and chicken pox.....lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by