Black spots on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henney penny, Jan 14, 2011.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Is is natural for some chickens to have black dots on there combs,some of mine have had them for years and o thers have none.Sometimes I see pictures on here of chickens and they have those dots and nothing is wrong with them.If it was frost bite would it go away eventionally?

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    sorry, don't know for sure, but mine have them too. They seem to get them in the winter, so I assume frostbitten skin or pecking from the others from being in so much in the winter months. You can put vaseline on the combs and wattles for protection from the cold, but it can get messy. Also look up fowl pox here to rule that out

3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:I was just reading in my Chicken Health Handbook about that since I have had a couple like that too [​IMG] They said once frost bite turns black the tissue is dead. Mine have had a some bruises and scabs from fighting that eventually turned in to dark spots and those kind of faded away. I guess it depends?

4. Heartforchickens

Heartforchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    South Alabama
    Mine also have the spots from time-to-time and also in the summer. They have been healthy for their entire 4-year lives. Good luck

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  5. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have never wormed mine and some are 4 years old,I have a poop board under my roosts and check is daily for wroms and have never seen any.As long as I don`t see any I`m not going to worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by