1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black spots on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigredsowner, Jun 2, 2008.

1. bigredsowner

bigredsowner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    my rhode island red rooster has some black spots on his comb and face-- can anyone help me?

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    It could be dried scabs from fighting with another roo. or hen

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    make sure its not fowl pox (theres a link on here about it in the Poultry disease section (the site. not the forum) but you could probably do a search for fowl pox.

4. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    mite be MITEs! :eek: Or chicken fleas which I just recently learned about, they get around the eyes and all over the comb and look like black spots. Hope you figure it out.

5. bigredsowner

bigredsowner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    He is in a pen by himself so it can't be from another rooster or hen. But thanks anyway.

6. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    probably fowl pox my entire flock had them last summer, I just let it run its course.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Over the winter, I noticed that one or two or the girls would have some black spots on their combs from time to time. They always went away by themselves, and there was no lasting evidence. All the combs are fine now.

8. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Sounds like Fowl Pox to me, too. All my chickens got it 2 years ago. We have so many mosquitos here, so I think that's where it came from. I watched my chickens all summer, so afraid the pox would get inside them. By mid fall, it all cleared up. Last summer they didn't get it at all. It's so ugly & I don't think you can do anything for it, just hope it doesn't get inside them. The mosquitos are already bad here this year, so I'm watching carefully again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by