1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black spots..on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heyjude1, Feb 27, 2012.

1. heyjude1

heyjude1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2011
    tennessee
    My Buff Orpington Rooster has developed black spots on his comb.. It's not frostbite, but looks scabby... None of the other chickens has this at all. Everyone else looks clean, even the floppy combed Brahma.. Does anyone have an idea as to what this could be? How to treat it? thank you in advance for any and all help... It doesn't seem to bother him.... Just me...

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It could be fowl pox, pecking wounds, or dirt.
    Can you post a picture?

Imp- Good luck

3. heyjude1

Jan 15, 2011
    tennessee
    I will try to get a close up picture when I go out to put the birds up for the night...

4. heyjude1

Jan 15, 2011
    tennessee
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. heyjude1

Jan 15, 2011
    tennessee
    the two previous pictures were the best I could get with him ... Sorry... As you can see, he has the black spots on both sides, but mosty in the back of his comb... Any ideas?

6. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    It looks like pecking to me. Especially the last picture. It looks like a little bit of dried blood on a feather near his comb.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I will agree with LeslieB118.

Imp-thanks for the pics.

8. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    ty for the post, my roo has that too and i wondered why... i have seen hens peck at it.
    any way to stop them other than separateing?

9. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    I wouldn't worry about separating them. Somebody in the flock is just putting him in his place, so to speak. There's going to be squabbling from time to time. My oldest hen was going after my immature but maturing roo for a little while because she was/is the boss, and he's just not ready yet, in her opinion. He keeps a fair distance from her now, for the most part.

10. heyjude1

Jan 15, 2011
    tennessee
    that could very possibly be the case...somebody putting him in his place.. He does think he owns the roost!!! He's even hackled up at me once or twice...But the little cockeral is coming into his own and they have gone head to head a few times. I've also seen, but only once, my old sussex hen grab him by the comb when he's tried breeding one of the small hens..... I will watch VERY closely for the next couple of days...thank you everyone for your input... I was alittle concerned....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by