Black spots on comb?

TaraBellaBirds

Songster
6 Years
Jul 13, 2013
SW Kansas
Several of my Roos and a few of my hens have these black spots on thier combs. I have looked up several things they could be and at first thought maybe I had an outbreak of Fowl Pox but these spots do not have a whit lining like the pics I have seen of pox. All my birds are acting normal and don't seem to be bothered by the spots. What could they be, should I be concerned, and if so what do I do to get rid of them? Here are some pics.

They look like small injuries caused by pecking. It probably isn't anything to worry about. My birds get small injuries like that occasionally, and they heal rapidly.

That's what I was hoping. With so many Roos things to get rather aggressive, a couple more weeks and we will be down to only 4 roos and the BJG aren't near as aggressive as the RIR. I learned my lesson on the production RIR's I would like to do more later but will get them through a local breeder. Thanks for the help!

If you want some very sweet, unagressive RIR, find someone who can sell you heritage RIR chicks here on BYC. They are the dark mahogany calm and gentle RIR of yesteryear. On this link (start at the last page of the thread) you will be able to find a breeder near you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site/5190
Thanks, that was kind of my line of thinking when I am ready for more. Right now I have my hands full with two separate flocks 31, 20 week and 18, 12 week! Thanks again for the assistance.

One of my hens has black spots too. She's had them since I got her and they've never gone away. I thought it was just discolouration? No one picks on her, that's for sure!

These spots just rub right away with a light swipe of the fingernail. It just served to let me know that my Roos are to the point where they need to go. One of my Jersey Giants poofed up and tried to flog my five year old today. Needless to say this did not work out well for the Roo, but my son enjoyed giving him a pet and a hug once he was properly humiliated and subdued LOL.

These spots just rub right away with a light swipe of the fingernail. It just served to let me know that my Roos are to the point where they need to go. One of my Jersey Giants poofed up and tried to flog my five year old today. Needless to say this did not work out well for the Roo, but my son enjoyed giving him a pet and a hug once he was properly humiliated and subdued LOL.

I'm glad it was nothing serious!

One of my hens has black spots too. She's had them since I got her and they've never gone away. I thought it was just discolouration? No one picks on her, that's for sure!

My two black sex link hens have had black spots on their combs for a long time now. I did make a post on here but no one could help I guess. This is a pic from just a few hours ago when I was trying to clean off some mysterious black gunk off of her and the rest of my flock, if you look at the very tips of her comb you'll see the spots I'm talking about.

Here are some old pictures of the spots

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom