Black spots on comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TaraBellaBirds, Aug 28, 2013.

1. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Several of my Roos and a few of my hens have these black spots on thier combs. I have looked up several things they could be and at first thought maybe I had an outbreak of Fowl Pox but these spots do not have a whit lining like the pics I have seen of pox. All my birds are acting normal and don't seem to be bothered by the spots. What could they be, should I be concerned, and if so what do I do to get rid of them? Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like small injuries caused by pecking. It probably isn't anything to worry about. My birds get small injuries like that occasionally, and they heal rapidly.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    That's what I was hoping. With so many Roos things to get rather aggressive, a couple more weeks and we will be down to only 4 roos and the BJG aren't near as aggressive as the RIR. I learned my lesson on the production RIR's I would like to do more later but will get them through a local breeder. Thanks for the help!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Thanks, that was kind of my line of thinking when I am ready for more. Right now I have my hands full with two separate flocks 31, 20 week and 18, 12 week! Thanks again for the assistance.

7. Qalupalik

Qalupalik Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    BC
    One of my hens has black spots too. She's had them since I got her and they've never gone away. I thought it was just discolouration? No one picks on her, that's for sure!

8. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    These spots just rub right away with a light swipe of the fingernail. It just served to let me know that my Roos are to the point where they need to go. One of my Jersey Giants poofed up and tried to flog my five year old today. Needless to say this did not work out well for the Roo, but my son enjoyed giving him a pet and a hug once he was properly humiliated and subdued LOL.

9. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I'm glad it was nothing serious!

My two black sex link hens have had black spots on their combs for a long time now. I did make a post on here but no one could help I guess. This is a pic from just a few hours ago when I was trying to clean off some mysterious black gunk off of her and the rest of my flock, if you look at the very tips of her comb you'll see the spots I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

Here are some old pictures of the spots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by