Black Spots on Combs and Feather Loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dina k, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Dina k

Dina k Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2013
    My hens are fully feathered and started laying about 2 weeks ago. It has been extremely cold here and we have about 2 feet of snow in the chicken yard. My husband keeps clearing a path for them. I notices a couple of the have black spots on their combs (not raised think it might be frost bite but not sure) and one of the has feather loss all the way to her skin just in front of her tale feathers on her back. I have NO IDEA what is going on. Is it to early for them to have their first molts??? My Mother in law is having the same problem with her hen's ( she has raised chickens for 20 years and says its to early for them to molt).Could it be the extreme cold??? What do I do need help with this!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The cold won't cause feather loss though they can molt at any time. It's strange for more than one at this time of year though.
    Molt is usually stimulated by shortening days - so autumn, not spring/late winter.
    The black spots are probably frostbite. This is the worst winter I've had and my roosters have lost half of their combs.
    Could the feather loss be from feather picking/eating? Do you have a rooster?

3. Dina k

Dina k Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2013
    No Rooster . She did have little fuzzy feathers so at first I thought it might be moltting, but now they are gone as well and it's just bald spot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by