black spots on combs...(pics to follow)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarahF, Oct 21, 2007.

1. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed two of my BRs have black scabby spots on their combs and another girl is starting to show the same scabby signs...I took pictures, but need to load them once I get to work tomorrow. I'm concerned and don't know what to do. Please let me know if you know anything at all!
    Thank yoU!

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    We have a oegb that came down with that (avian pox) and the DW researched it here and elseware She says there is no cure and it will play itself out after a while. She says there is no cure and it is spread by mosquitoes.
    Does not take long to tell what I know.

Welcome correction if anyone knows better.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  3. SarahF

here are pictures of their combs..we havent had any mosquitos this year! so i have no idea where this would come from...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Looks like pecking wounds to me, but I'm no expert. [​IMG]

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Those spots do look like Avian Pox.......... to me anyway. My flock is suffering though this right not. I am treating the spots with Iodine.......and cleaned and disenfected the coop and run..........and am just waiting it out........it is already showing signs of getting better on one ! Good luck, I hope it does turn out to be just pecking wounds as chickengurl suggests

6. SarahF

now im starting to worry. is it safe for me to be around them? Being pregnant and all...do I need to report this to the local health authority? Its not avian flu, but may be avian pox...

are their eggs safe to eat still? I dont see my girls pecking eachother...Ever! so i dont think that is what it is.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  7. misty

misty New Egg

Oct 23, 2007
    I have the same thing butit is circle spots black and crusty a little all over them. They are not acting ill at all though. Mine free range. Should you do anything for them? will they get sick or is it fatal. We have had a ton of mosquitoes this year.

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Quote:Avian pox is not zoonotic to humans
    Take appropriate measures (hand washing and such) of course

9. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

do the search on Avian pox.it tells you it isnt transferred to humans.ducks or geese.can be to turkeys...... loads of info here.
    http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu5cwU...55344/**http://www.avianweb.com/avianpox.html
    Mine still free range..bantams never free range so they are in run .........just have to let it run its course.... I medicate mine with iodine.....and am not worried bout transfer, I do wash well afterwards........ they all act fine..just look terrible !
    I still eat the eggs.....
    http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu5cwU...bc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases_bc/avian_pox.htm

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  10. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by